PC Minutes 3 March 2020

Denstone Parish Council

PC Minutes 3rd March 2020

 Attendees: Cllr M Shermer (Chair), Cllr B Wright, Cllr J Mountney, Cllr C Kelly, Cllr K Stratton, J Turner, Cllr E Edmonds, Cllr S Ratcliffe and Borough Councillor S Sankey.  Apologies Cllr L Beckett-Fountain    
 The minutes of the meeting held on the 11th February 2020. The minutes were signed and dated by Cllr M Shermer, and the clerk. These were agreed by all as a true record of the meeting. 
 Declaration of interest None 
 Adjournment for Public Participation Finger Post Prestwood – The finger post has fallen over – clerk to report to SCCPotholes – It was raised that there is a large pothole outside Denstone Farm Shop and one on bridge over the river towards Prestwood. Cllr Turner agreed to take photos of both and send them to the clerk to report.The curb needs raising around the War Memorial in the village to prevent further flooding. Clerk to report.It was raised that there was rubble on the road near the Stone House on College Road. This was noted but there was no action required.A parishioner informed the meeting that he was nearly knocked down by a large bus going to Denstone College on the 26th February at 4:10pm. Clerk to contact Kevin at Denstone College.  Clerk   Cllr Turner Clerk   Clerk       Clerk
 Clerks Report Correspondence Received – The clerk read out a letter from the church regarding the Shoe Festival from the 29th to 31 May 2020. Cynthia volunteered to attend the meeting on the 18th March on behalf of the Parish Council and report back at the next meeting. Website – The clerk informed the meeting that she had written to the SCC regarding the take up of the silver package template for the website. However, there was nothing further to report at the moment.Lady Meadow Close Signage – The clerk informed the meeting that she had now heard from Philip Lawford from the ESBC regarding the sign. He informed her that they have carried out a site visit and found all signs are clearly legible, they found the street without issue and the turning and signs for Bennion Grove were clear and they have not received reports from emergency services or any other service providers raising this as an issue. Due to this the sign will not be replaced.Speed Limit – the clerk informed the meeting that she had heard from the PCSO Sean Elliott. Russ agreed to contact him and meet up with him and report back at the next meeting.On-line Banking – The clerk had informed the meeting that she had contacted DALC and asked for the contact details of a clerks whose parish council had move to Unity Trust. However, she is still waiting to hear from them.Date of Annual meeting – It was agreed that the Annual Meeting would take place on the 7th April 2020 at 7pm just prior to the monthly meeting of the Parish Council.    Cynthia                       Russ   Clerk     Clerk
  6.  Planning Applications (Permitted & Refused are decisions by ESBC – P/2020/00031 – Erection of single storey extensions on south elevation to form garden room and utility   room extension – Hollis Farm, Hollis Lane, Denstone, ST14 5HP – No Objections P/2020/00170 – Demolition of existing barn and erection of 2 detached dwellings including new accesses – Ford Croft House, Oak Road, Denstone, ST14 5HT – It was agreed that the Parish Council would not raise any objections but, recognise that the dwellings do not address the need for affordable housing in the village. Clerk to send to ESBCP/2019/01489 – Update – Cllr Shermer informed the meeting that she had received the following update from the planning officer. At this stage officers are essentially seeking to ensure that the case being made by the applicants is being thoroughly interrogated. In such cases where a number of factors are at play it can be a time-consuming process. He will of course provide an update(s) where events allow.            Clerk  
  7.Community Speed Watch – Russestablished that the age limit for taking part in CSW is 16 so he contacted the college and they were extremely enthusiastic about the youngers from the college taking part. As soon as there are dates for training available with the police Russ will contact thecollege to get things started. Russ also asked if there was anywhere in the village to keep the Parish Council mower as it was very heavy to transport from his house every time, he needed to use it in the village. Cllr Ratcliffe agreed to contact Cllr Beckett-Fountain to see if there was any room in the shed at the bowling green.          Cllr Ratcliffe
  8.Junior Play Area – Cllr Shermer read through the minutes of the meeting for the Junior play area which took place on the 18th February. A number of quotes had been gathered since the meeting for the following: A new seat for the swing £65.00Various items to be painted in the spring – paint and brushes approx. £60Cutting of the laurel hedge by TaylorMade £175 New Sign – £100 Totalling approximately £400 A vote was taken and it was unanimously agreed by the Parish Council to go ahead with this. 
  9.Hedge – Cllr Shermer informed the meeting that she had received a quote of £175 from TaylorMade to cut the hedge at the back of the war memorial. Again, this was agreed to go head by the Parish Council. 
 10.Large Tree – It was unanimously agreed that the tree would remain and Cllr Shermer would inform the Village Hall Committee at their next meeting.Cllr Shermer
 11.BKV – It was agreed that Denstone would not be entering the Best Kept Village competition this year however, it was agreed to keep the spirit going in the village. 
 12.Flooding in the Village – Cllr Shermer said that the month of February was the wettest on record and the village had definitely felt the brunt of it. One of the main issues is down to the brook off College Road. The brook is too shallow and therefore fills up far too quickly. Gary Plant (the owner) has therefore agreed to dig out the brook which will hopefully help the situation. Richard from the Tavern also stated that there is a pipe under the road which is possibly blocked. This is the responsibility of the ESBC, Clerk to contact them regarding this. Cllr Shermer also suggested that Richard write to them also. Richard agreed with this.              Clerk
 13.Old Railway Line – It was agreed that over the winter months the old railway line has become in a very bad condition, this is down to the following: The weatherThe topography of the land as it sits in a flood plain.The surface and what it’s made of This will require a substantial amount of money to put it right. Unfortunately, there is no money in local government for this.It was agreed to talk to the farmer to ask him to not take his tractor down the middle of the path but have one wheel on the grass. With regards to who has access to the track it was agreed to buy a new combination lock with no keys. A list of people who need access to the railway line will is to be sent to Cllr Shermer who has agreed to purchase the lock. It was also agreed that the notice would be revised with just numbers and no names. Clerk to action.                  Cllr Shermer Clerk
14.Bus Shelter – Cllr Edmonds asked for this to be put on the agenda for the next meeting.Cllr Edmonds Clerk
15.V E Day Celebrations – Clerk to contact the insurance company of the Parish Council to have the celebrations included in the Parish Councils insurance has the cheque has now been received from The Tom Boden Memorial Sports Trust. Cllr Mountney agreed to create an event on the Facebook page asking for volunteers to help set up on the day of the event at 10 am on the 8 May 2020.  Clerk   Cllr Mountney
16.Country Show – The clerk had received a copy of the invoice for St Johns Ambulance to cover the Country Show from Philip Frampton. The cost would be £92.16. It was therefore agreed that the Parish Council would pay for the cost of this. Cheque to be written to Denstone Country Show for this amount.  Clerk    
17.Highways issues Traffic issues & Stubwood sub-committee – Cllr Shermer informed the meeting that Richard Rayson informed her that they are currently trying to over-come a major hurdle. A Gating Order no longer exists according to East Staffs Borough Council. I’m looking into another existing order which will do the same job. Cllr Shermer will keep the Parish Council updated with this. Potholes – Please see item 4b.Footpaths – NonePavements – None 
18. Finance/Payments – To approve the following payments: Proposed by Cllr Ratcliffe and seconded by Cllr Edmonds Webmaster pay for February 2020 = £25.00 [LGA 1972 s142 & 144] Clerk’s pay for February 2020 (Made by Standing Order) = £379.28 [LGA 1972 s112]Clerk’s expenses for February 2020 = £9.00 (LGA 1972 s111)Eon Lighting February 2020 = £22.49 [Parish Councils Act 1957 s3]J Etherington – Cleaning Village Hall Toilets February 2020 = £40.0Russ Whitehurst – Lengthsman February 2020Denstone Country Show – Payment for First Aid =£92.16Staffordshire Parish Council Association £296 Items for Future Agenda – None             
 Dates of next meeting – Annual and Parish meeting 7th April, 5th May 2020 
Skip to content