PC Minutes 13 April 2023

Denstone Village

Minutes of Denstone Parish Council Meeting 13th April 2023

  1. Present – Cllr J Mountney (Vice Chair), Cllr B Wright, Cllr E Edmonds, Cllr M Shermer, Cllr S Ratcliffe, Cllr Stratton, Cllr M Flower, Borough Councillor S Sankey (ESBC), and Julie Sadler (Clerk)
    Apologies: Cllr K Lillistone and Cllr Turner
    6 Members of the village attended the meeting. Also, Charlotte and Rhona from Denstone College.
  2. The Minutes of the Meeting held on 13th February 2023 – The clerk informed the meeting that there was a slight alternation to the draft minutes. The change was that in item 5b the clerk originally stated that both MJD and RJS were from Denstone. This has now been changed to that both companies are local. The revised minutes were agreed by all as a true record of the meeting. Cllr Mountney (Vice Chair) signed and dated the minutes.
  3. Declaration of Interest – Cllr Shermer informed the meeting that she had an interest in item 7b.
  4. Adjournment for Public Participation
    A member of the village asked how many green spaces there were in the village and where they were situated. Cllr Shermer confirmed that as far as she knows there were three. Roberts Green, Denstone Meadow and Olivers Green. These were all in the Neighbourhood plan.
  5. Denstone College Presentation – Cllr Mountney thanked both Charlotte and Rhona for attending the meeting. Charlotte began by informing the meeting that both Rhona and she were at the meeting to inform the Parish Council about the upcoming event (The Big Birthday Party) that will be held at Denstone College on 24th June at 12pm. Charlotte confirmed that it will be a very large event, all current pupils and parents, teachers, past pupils, and families as well as all members of the Parish will be invited. There will be an itinerary that will be shared with the Parish Council in due course, which can be put on the noticeboard, website, and Facebook page. They will be setting up a Park and Ride facility at the JCB carpark to try and reduce the numbers of cars coming into the village. There will be two 54-seater buses running throughout the day starting at 12 pm and College Road will be monitored by Marshalls. The Park and Ride buses will stop at the bus stop opposite the Tavern to pick up anyone from the village. There will be a few food vendors coming through the village from 8.30-10am. There will be music at the event, but this will stop at 7.30pm. Charlotte confirmed once they have idea of numbers attending, they will let the Parish Council know. If anyone has any further questions, please pass them to Cllr Edmonds who will pass them onto Charlotte. Cllr Mountney thanked them both again and wished them good luck with the event. Cllr Flower reminded both Charlotte and Rhona that the Denstone Show will take place again on the 2nd September and the road will be closed in the village.
  6. Matters Arising/Clerk’s Report
    a. Correspondence Received
    − Paper Rubbish Collection – the clerk informed the meeting that she had received a complaint from a member of the village regarding the paper collection in the village. Some of the paper is left on the road rather than put in the lorry. Cllr Edmonds confirmed that the lorry had recently had a malfunction so this could be a one off problem. However, if it continues this can be reported to the ESBC. Clerk to reply to the parishioner. Action Clerk
    − Gullies – Clerk confirmed that she had received confirmation from a member of the village that several gullies had been emptied apart from the one outside the Croft on College Road the one at the bottom of Narrow Lane, one on Alton Road and one on Stubwood Bank. It was agreed that photos would be taken and sent to the clerk to report these to the SCC. Action Cllr Wright and Clerk
    Minutes of Denstone Parish Council Meeting 13th April 2023
    − Map for the School – An email was received from Jo at All Saints school asking for a map of the village. Cllr Wright to collect the map from Cllr Shermer and drop it off at the school. Action Cllr Wright
    − Old Railway Line – Clerk to contact Sue and ask her to move one of the black bins down to the footpath that goes to the church to prevent the overflow problem of dog poo bins on the railway line. Clerk also to ask Sue if she is still happy to collect the dog poo waste. Action Clerk
    b. Outcome of Election – The clerk informed the meeting that only 8 nominations had been received by the ESBC so there would not be an election. However, as the Parish Council were one member short there would be a vacancy advertised in May. Cllr Shermer advised all councillors that they must complete and return their expenses form to the ESBC even if they have not incurred any expenses. The deadline for this is the 1st June. Action All Councillors
    c. Roberts Green Bin outcome – The clerk raised the issue again about the bin on Roberts Green. Cllr Mountney confirmed that she would check this and advise the clerk if it was getting too full. Action Cllr Mountney
    d. Accounts – The clerk informed the meeting that the accounts were nearly ready for checking. She would drop them off next week to Cllr Ratcliffe who would check them, then pass them to Cllr Flower for checking before returning to the clerk before the next meeting. Action Cllrs Ratcliffe and Flower and Clerk.
  7. Planning (Permitted & Refused are decisions by ESBC)
    a. P/ P/2023/00279 – Conversion of dwelling (Class C3) to office (Use Class E) with associated Parking – Dale Gap Farm Barrowhill Rocester Staffordshire – ST14 5BX – There were no objections raised by the Parish Council. Action Clerk
    b. P/2023/00320 – Certificate of Lawfulness for the retention to the extension of the garage – 6 The Westlands Denstone ST14 5HS – There were no objections raised by the Parish Council. Action Clerk
    c. NP review update – Cllr Shermer confirmed that the Neighbourhood plan was still with the ESBC for screening. The NPMG have a meeting with Hannah from Urban Vision on the 18th April. Cllr Shermer also confirmed that it was agreed that the 1.2 days originally suggested for Reg 14 was no longer required so the cost for this time had been refunded along with the remainder of the grant to Groundworks UK. The total amount that was refunded was £1655.50.
  8. Highways – Cllr Shermer
    a. SIDS – it was agreed that the data from the SIDs would be downloaded by Cllr Ratcliffe/Cllr Flower. Clerk to pass on all the relevant information to the councillors. Action Clerk
    b. Feasibility update – Cllr Shermer informed the meeting that there had been a site visit. The information obtained at the meeting would be passed onto all the Parish Councillors. Action Clerk
    c. CSW – Russell Whitehurst confirmed that there were now only 3 Community Speed Watch members plus the 2 students from the College. It was agreed to put a poster on the noticeboard, website, and Facebook page to try and recruit more members. Action Clerk
    d. Potholes – It was confirmed that one of the reported potholes had been filled outside Denstone Farm Shop.
    Minutes of Denstone Parish Council Meeting 13th April 2023
  9. Denstone College Liaison – Cllr Edmonds
    a. Cllr Edmonds confirmed that there was nothing else to report from the college. Cllr Edmonds confirmed that he would arrange a meeting if either side had any issues to discuss.
  10. Green Spaces – Cllr Wright
    a. Staffs Way – Cllr Wright confirmed that notices had been put on trees as we have been unable ascertain the landowner.
    b. The bridge crossing the stream on the boundary between Denstone College (path Denstone 22a) and Smalley (path Croxden 20) has still not been mended clerk to contact Paul regarding this. Action Clerk
  11. Liaison – Cllr Stratton
    a. Village Hall – Cllr Stratton confirmed that there was nothing to report.
  12. Play Area – Cllr Flower/Cllr Lillistone
    a. Funding for the play area – Cllr Flower confirmed that there was no further update on funding. Cllr Sankey confirmed that this would not be until after the 4th May 2023. Cllr Sankey suggested that the Tom Boden Trust apply for the funding as it is viewed that Parish Councils have too much excess income. Cllr Sankey confirmed that the request for the funding should be prepared ready for after the 4th May. Action Cllr Flower
    Cllr Flower confirmed that the toilet block and the fencing has been put on hold until the beginning of May. However, it was agreed that Cllr Flower could go ahead and order from AIE. Action Cllr Flower
    b. Play Area Report – The clerk informed the meeting that she was happy with the format of the report for the play area. It was agreed that Cllr Flower would now pass this onto Cllr Ratcliffe who would forward it to the Tom Boden Memorial Sports Trust. Action Cllrs Flower and Ratcliffe.
  13. Miscellaneous
    a. Village Enhancement Programme – Cllr Mountney confirmed that the suggestion for the extension of the car park was not feasible. Cllr Edmonds suggested that another idea would be to replace the hedge at the front of the village hall with a wall and put plants in it. It was agreed that Cllr Edmonds would have the conversations to see how much this would cost. In the meantime, all other councillors would think of ideas to bring to the next meeting. Cllr Sankey agreed to pass on the details of the Enterprise Team for further advice. Action Cllr Edmonds and Cllr Sankey
    b. Volunteering Day – Cllr Wright suggested strimming on the old railway line near the church but not on that day. If anyone is interested to contact him. Nothing further was raised.
    c. Village Toilets – Cllr Edmonds confirmed that John Etherington would now clean the toilets 3 times a week.
    d. Denstone Meadow – Cllr Edmonds informed the meeting that the meadow needed another bench. It was agreed that Cllr Edmonds could place the order for the bench to come out of the meadow fund. Cllr Edmonds also confirmed that a hedge would be laid down on the meadow next January/February. Action Cllr Edmonds
  14. Finance – Cllr Ratcliffe/Cllr Flower
    Nothing to raise.
  15. Payments – To approve the following payments: Proposed by Cllr Edmonds and seconded by Cllr Stratton. All payments would be processed online by Cllr shermer and Cllr Flower all invoices
    Minutes of Denstone Parish Council Meeting 13th April 2023
    would be signed and would be returned to the clerk once actioned. Action Clerk, Cllr Shermer and Cllr Flower.
    a. Lascombe Consulting – Website – pay for March 2023 = £25.00 [LGA 1972 s142 & 144]
    b. Clerk’s pay for March 2023 (Made by Standing Order) = £453.37 [LGA 1972 s112]
    c. J Etherington – Cleaning Village Hall toilets March 2023 = £50 plus £8.50 for expenses total £58.50
    d. N Power – March 2023 – Electricity – £23.02
    e. Graveyard Contribution – £500 this was unanimously agreed by all councillors.
    f. Andrew Hillman – payment for March Lengthsman = £60.37
    g. Return of £1655.50 to Groundworks UK for unspent grant – ref NPG-13013
    items for Future Agenda
    No items raised for the next meeting.
    Date of next meeting: Annual Meeting Wednesday 10th May 2023 at 7.30 pm in the Village Hall Denstone followed by the Annual Parish Meeting.
Skip to content