Minutes of Denstone Parish Council Meeting 9th October 2023
- Present – Cllr Jess Turner (Chair), Cllr B Wright, Cllr M Shermer, Cllr E Edmonds, Cllr J Mountney Cllr Stratton, Cllr Ratcliffe and Julie Sadler (Clerk)
Apologies: Cllr M Flower
There were 7 Members of the village at the meeting.
- The Minutes of the Meeting held 19th September 2023 – The minutes were agreed by all as a true record of the meeting and were signed and dated by Cllr Turner (Chair).
- To receive declarations of interest – None.
- Adjournment for public participation
- A member of the public expressed thanks to the Lengthsman for the excellent job that he has done on the Railway Line. This was agreed by all the council members.
- A member of the public informed the parish council of a possible leak on the Railway line. Cllr Mountney volunteered to take a picture and send it to the clerk. Action Cllr Mountney and Clerk.
- A member of the public suggested that the new signs retained the Denstone Youth Fund Logo. This was to be discussed later in the agenda.
- A member of the public expressed thanks to the council members for the work done on the children’s play area. The new fence looks excellent.
- Cllr Mountney informed the meeting that a member of the public had informed her of the van parking on Oak Road opposite the school. This was causing problems with visibility. It was agreed that the clerk would write to the owner regarding the van and the hedge. Action Clerk.
- Matters Arising/Clerk’s Report
- Correspondence Received
- The clerk informed the meeting that she had received an email regarding an overhanging hedge in the village. It was unanimously agreed that the clerk would send a letter to the landowner. Action Clerk
- Cllr Turner read out a statement from a letter received from the ICO regarding the outcome of a FOI request from a member of the public.
- Cllr Turner informed the meeting that 2 internal reviews had taken place regarding 2 FOI’s received from a member of the public. One of the reviews had recommended that a statement was read out at the next parish council meeting. Cllr Turner read out the statement.
- Railway line – Plum Tree – Thanks were expressed by the Parish Council to Cllr Wright for dealing with the fallen plum tree on the railway line. Cllr Wright asked for the code for opening the gate on the railway line. Clerk to send code. If code doesn’t work Cllr Shermer volunteered to arrange a new lock. Action Clerk
- Defibrillator – The clerk informed the meeting that the Defibrillator had been re-sited on the village hall with the new case and the new board.
- Remembrance Wreath – The clerk informed the meeting that this wreath had been ordered. Clerk to issue cheque of £40.
- Correspondence Received
- Councillor Accountabilities Review – Due to the latest changes to the members of the council it was decided to re-look at the councillors accountabilities. The document was sent out prior to the meeting and the changes were agreed. Clerk to issue a revised list to all councillors. Action Clerk
- Planning (Permitted & Refused are decisions by ESBC) – Cllr Turner
- NP review update – Cllr Turner updated the meeting on the NP review.
- Cllr Ratcliffe asked what was the latest with regards to the appeal on Bank View Farm. It was agreed that the clerk would chase this with the planning inspectorate. Action Clerk.
- Highways – Cllr Shermer
- Feasibility Study – Cllr Shermer informed the meeting that the new contact for the Feasibility Study was Kaleigh Clewley (SCC).
- Potholes – it was unanimously agreed that this item would be removed from all future agendas. If someone wanted to raise a specific pothole then this could be done in miscellaneous on the agenda as long as the clerk is notified before the agenda is produced. It was unanimously agreed that the link to the website where people can report potholes should be included in the minutes and on the Denstone website so members of the public could report them instead of waiting for a meeting. The link for reporting potholes is https://apps2.staffordshire.gov.uk/web/reportfault Action Clerk
- Liaison – Cllr Stratton
- Signs on the Railway line – Cllr Stratton updated the meeting on all village hall issues. It was unanimously agreed by the Parish Council that they were happy for a sign be put on the railway line reminding people who park in the village hall to make a contribution to its upkeep.
- Play Area – Clerk
- New Signs – Cllr Flower sent in pictures of the old signs from the play area. It was unanimously agreed that the small no dogs allowed sign and no ball games would no longer be necessary. The large sign already has no dogs allowed on it and it was agreed to include no ball games on the large sign. The large sign would need changing to become 8 rules and the statement at the bottom be changed to “All equipment to be checked regularly by Denstone Parish Council” instead of Denstone Youth Fund. A further sentence would also need to be added at the bottom on the sign “All equipment originally provided by Denstone Youth Fund and their logo was to remain on the sign. Action Cllr Flower.
- DE-Fib at North end of the Village – Cllr Wright informed the meeting that he had spoken to a member of the public who was interested in the idea of the defib at their property but wanted to know a little more about the technical side of things. The clerk is waiting to hear from AEDdonate. It was however agreed by the councillors that the cost of the installation and the electricity used by the defibrillator would be met by the Parish Council. Action Clerk
- Bus Shelter – Cllr Edmonds confirmed that he would give a further update at the next meeting.
- War Memorial – Cllr Edmonds informed the meeting that he was awaiting a reply regarding a new flagpole. He will give a further update at the next meeting. The lengthsman agreed to take on the work of the gardener and agreed to weed the memorial before November.
- Guttering for Bus shelter in the village – The clerk informed the meeting that the lengthsman had supplied a quote for the cost of items to repair the bus shelter in the village. It was unanimously agreed by the council for this to be done.
- Payments – To approve the following payments:
Proposed by Cllr Stratton and seconded by Cllr Edmonds. All payments apart from the £40 for the Royal British Legion would be processed online by Cllr Shermer and Cllr Flower. All invoices would be signed and would be returned to the clerk once actioned.
The payment for the Royal British Legion would be made by cheque. A cheque for this amount was written at the meeting and signed by Cllr Shermer and Cllr Edmonds.
- Lascombe Consulting – Website – pay for September 2023 = £25.00 + £31.18 (Domain Renewal) total £56.18[LGA 1972 s142 & 144]
- Clerk’s pay for September 2023 (Made by Standing Order) = £453.37 [LGA 1972 s112]
- Clerks expenses September = Stationery – £30.79 Travel = £21.60 total = £52.39
- J Etherington – Cleaning Village Hall toilets September 2023 = £40.00
- N Power – Electricity – September 2023 £43.52
- Stuart Smith Lengthsman – £191.67 + expenses £13.35 = £205.02
- Stuart Smith – Repair of guttering on the bus shelter in the village – £11.28
- Transfer of funds for Paying for Play area from Business Account to the Community Account – £2,106.00
- Credit from Groundwork UK – NP grant – £2425.00
- Royal British Legion – Remembrance Wreath £40.00
items for Future Agenda
Date of next meeting: Monday 13th November 2023 at 7.00 pm in the Village Hall Denstone.
All members of the council remained for the closed meeting and the clerk.
- Health and Safety – It was unanimously agreed that if necessary a total of £1500.00 could be spent on legal costs and £600 on other administrative costs.
- Website – it was agreed that the website would go on the agenda for the next meeting.